Don’t worry, I’m not here to scold you if you ate your fair share of Halloween candy yesterday. I’m here to CONGRATULATE you for properly enjoying a holiday. This is what life is all about: there are days for salad and days for chocolate. But if you’re lying on the couch this morning in a Reese’s-flavored coma, you may be looking to change out of that Ninja Turtle costume and into some gym clothes. All you need is 20 minutes for this fun-sized workout to work off those fun-size Snickers.
This is a timed workout, so you can use a stopwatch, the clock on your phone, or I really like the Tabata Pro Tabata Timer app on the iPhone. It’s $2.99 but totally worth the price. You can set all the intervals you want, including prep, work and rest. Once you have your timing device, you’re ready to go! I included YouTube videos if you need a visual of any of these exercises…I cannot promise that the videos are actually good…or not straight from the Jersey Shore collection.
- Squat and overhead press using two dumbbells (http://bit.ly/1wS6Zx9)
- Dumbbell biceps curl (http://bit.ly/1s2FIS6)
- One-leg hamstring curls using a stability ball (http://bit.ly/1vt70SG)
- Dumbbell shoulder lateral raise (http://bit.ly/10HzyAm)
- Dumbbell alternating reverse lunge (http://bit.ly/1zo6GeE)
- Push-ups (http://bit.ly/1clOWkS)
- Cardio burst (if you’re at a gym, try sprinting on the treadmill or a fast pedal on the bike; if you’re at home or outside, try jumping jacks or running in place with high knees)
- Core: elbow plank hold (http://bit.ly/1u6Yjly)
Repeat this sequence 3 times: set #1 = 1 minute each exercise, set #2 = 45 seconds each, set #3 = 30 seconds each. Try to keep moving through the sequence with only 10 seconds rest in between exercises and 1 minute rest between sets. This keeps your heart rate up to help you burn more calories. This quick workout is meant to make you sweat, feel good, and burn off at least a couple of those Butterfingers.